Monday, June 22, 2009

Francisco Cervelli – what he thinks about

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/001B4119_Francisco_Cervelli.jpg/280px-001B4119_Francisco_Cervelli.jpg
People think about different things and so do major league hitters. They go out and try to do different things while they are on the batter’s box. However, Yankee catcher Francisco Cervelli has a new approach:

"I don't think offensively," Cervelli said. "I just go there and try to hit the ball, move the runners and whatever signs they put up, I just try to do that. The first thing for me is to catch and call the game. If I get three hits every time, that's better."

Yankees pitchers like CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte have raved about their experiences throwing to Cervelli, notable this week after Posada and Joba Chamberlain clashed in Friday's 9-8 Yankees victory. A.J. Burnett said he had never worked with Cervelli before but liked what he saw on Sunday, when he hurled seven scoreless innings.

"I think it's just a matter of that we used everything today," Burnett said. "I don't know if it's the catcher, but we used curveballs and fastballs in good counts. They had no idea what was coming, and that's huge. If I'd miss with a hook, he'd call another one. We didn't stay in a pattern."

Pettitte has said that he has been impressed with Cervelli's outspoken nature on the bench and on the field, as he is unafraid to share his thoughts and opinions with pitchers during games.

"I think the key in this situation is that everybody here, the pitchers and the coaches, they give confidence," Cervelli said. "They say you can do it and trust you, and let me talk at the mound sometimes. I don't care if I'm young, if I have to go to the mound and say something, I have to."


http://bronxbaseballdaily.baby-bombers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/francisco-cervelli-320x400.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment