Wednesday, November 25, 2009

My Initial Reaction on Elearning Tools



My experience with elearning tools is a peculiar one. Let me share it with you

Literature has always been the love of my life. I have studied it, lived it, hated it, and loved it again and again. As a teacher, I always wanted to share my passion for literature to my students. This was of the utmost importance to me. Not only was it my job, not only was it my calling, it was also a very personal matter. I was sharing something that I loved, the stories and poems that constituted my life. In short, I was also sharing myself to my students. So when I first heard that the curriculum was changing in order to include elearning tools as a mode of teaching some of the lessons that we did not have time to tackle in the classroom, I was really caught off guard. I detested the idea. How could something as cold and as impersonal as a computer possibly convey and pass on the passion for literature? The first thoughts that came to my mind was that these students will be hand fed information, memorize them, and just answer a quiz from memory. I felt like there would not be enough of that internal processing necessary to spark that passion I keep talking about. There would be no connections between the self and the text, no real meeting where the self will be see itself in this new light and forever be changed.



But as I soon discovered, elearning tools were actually not that bad. It was not actually meant to replace teachers. I was still there to moderate the thing. It just functioned as a textbook, an interactive textbook which is what makes it better. Now I have changed my opinion of elearning tools for good. I think this new technology is a boon that will help teachers in any subject, so long as it simply an addition to teaching, not a full replacement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment